The following is the press release issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on the visit of President U Htin Kyaw to the People’s Republic of China.—Ed
1. At the invitation of President Xi Jingping of the People’s Republic of China, President of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar U Htin Kyaw and wife Daw Su Su Lwin paid a State Visit to the People’s Republic of China from 6th to 11th April 2017 and arrived back to Nay Pyi Taw in the evening of 11th April 2017.
2. During the visit, President U Htin Kyaw held bilateral talks with President Xi Jinping and met with Premier Li Keqiang of the State Council, and Chairman Zhang Dejiang of the Standing Committee of the National People’s Congress separately on 10th April 2017.
3. During the meetings, the leaders stressed the importance of advancing “Comprehensive Cooperative Strategic Partnership Relations” based on the Five Principles of Peaceful Co-existence and existing “Pauk-Phaw” friendship; promoting diverse cooperation between the two countries particularly for the benefit of the two peoples through the high level exchange of visits; to enhance mutually beneficial cooperation in the fields of trade, investment, technology, transportation, culture, health and sports; strengthening closer coordination at the regional and international fora such as United Nations, Mekong-Lanceng cooperation and ASEAN-China Cooperation with a view to promoting peace, stability and development of the region. The leaders also cordially discussed about the ongoing infrastructure projects including oil and gas pipelines and Kyauk-Phyu Special Economic Zone and Deep Sea Port.
4. Furthermore, they discussed on the matters of maintaining peace and stability and development of the border areas, continuation of China’s constructive support for the peace process of Myanmar and further pursuance of 2+2 high level consultations led by Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Ministry of Defense. China also expressed its support toward Myanmar Government’s efforts for the national reconciliation and peace, promoting democratic transition, improving socio-economic lives of the Myanmar people.
5. After the meeting, the two leaders attended the signing ceremony of cooperation agreements between Myanmar and the People’s Republic of China. A total of (9) MoUs, Agreements and Exchange of Letters were successfully inked, namely Agreement on China’s grant for economic and technical cooperation of RMB Yuan (1) billion to Myanmar to implement projects in economic developments and living standard improvement of Myanmar people including education, rural development and other fields; Cooperation in the Field of Forestry; Cooperation in Seafarers Training, Education and Development; Cooperation in Medical Technic Training Centre and Disease Control; Technical Cooperation Project Regarding the 29th South East Asian Games; Crude Oil Transportation Agreement and implementation of Development of Deep Sea Port Project and Industrial Park in Kyauk Phyu Special Economic Zone. At the conclusion of the visit, a Joint Press Communique between Myanmar and the Pepole’s Republic of China has been issued in Beijing.
6. During the State Visit, President U Htin Kyaw and wife also visited Sichuan Province, Shaanxi Province and Shanghai City. While in Sichuan Province and Shaanxi Province, President U Htin Kyaw received Mr. Wang Dongmin, Governor of Sichuan and Mr. Hu Heping, Governor of Shaanxi on 6th and 7th of April 2017 respectively.
7. President U Htin Kyaw and wife also visited Myanmar Embassy in Beijing to meet with staff and families of the Myanmar Embassy and Office of the Military, Naval and Air Attache’ and attened the Luncheon hosted by Myanmar Ambassador U Thit Lin Ohn and wife on 9th April 2017.
8. On the same day, the President received Mr. Guo Tianmin, Senior Vice President of Huawei Technology and also attended the Book Launching Ceremony of the Chinese translation book of writer “Min Thu Won’s literature, “Bond of friendship between Min Thu Won and China” published by the China International Publishing Group at the Diaoyutai State Guest House.
9. The President also received the Governor of Yunnan Province Mr. Cheng Hao in Kunming, on 11th April, 2017. During the visit to China, President U Htin Kyaw and wife paid homage to Lesheng Giant Buddha in Sichuan, conducted tours to Terracotta Army Museum of Qing Dinesty in Shaanxi, Oriental Pearl Tower and National Museum in Shanghai. He also paid homage to Buddha Tooth Relic and visited Forbidden City and the Great Wall in Beijing and Stone Forest in Yunnan.
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
April 13, 2017