You can read daily news of Global New Light of Myanmar using mobile applications. Download now!

February 26, 2018

Zwekabin cable car project 50 per cent completed

The construction site of Zwekabin cable car project in Kayin State. Photo: MDN
The construction site of Zwekabin cable car project in Kayin State. Photo: MDN

The installation of cable cars on Kayin State’s famous Zwekabin Mountain is 50 per cent complete, said U Banyar Zaw, Chairman of Myanmar Native Land Public Company.
“The project began in May 2017 and now it’s 50 per cent complete. The whole project is slated for completion by March 2019,” he added. The project is being developed on six acres of land with more than US$12 million investment from Chit Lin Myaing Company using Swiss technology and including parking lots for both big and small
vehicles, stalls, hotels, resorts and parks.
He continued that “Zwekabin Mountain is located seven miles south of Hpa-an and is 2,734 feet above sea level. Elderly people and children cannot climb up. There is Buddha’s hair at the top of the mountain. Zwekabin is a landmark for the people in Kayin State. The whole project is aimed at achieving various developmental tasks in the region where peace and stability is restored.”
Under the agreement, the Chit Lin Myaing Company is entitled to 75 per cent of the total profit while the Zwekabin Myay Development Company receives the other 25 per cent. Upon completion of the project, two cable cars will be able to transport 51 visitors up and down the mountain. Precautionary measures have already been made to ensure safety for visitors.
Zwekabin Pagoda’s festival is annually held for five days from 13 waxing to 2 waning of Tabaung. Zwekabin pagoda festival attracts thousands of Buddhist pilgrims across the country. Zwekabin Mountain is Kayin State’s leading tourist attraction site and is visited by both domestic Buddhist pilgrims and tourists. The cable car project will be the first of its kinds in Myanmar and is expected to boost tourism in the region.—Myanmar Digital News

Comments

Related posts

Translate »