1. State Counsellor Daw Aung San Suu Kyi arrived back in Yangon on 14th June 2017 at (0850) hrs after completion of
her Official Visits to Canada and Sweden from 5th to 13th June 2017.
Visit to Canada
2. While in Ottawa, the State Counsellor held a bilateral meeting with the Right Honourable Justin Trudeau, Prime Minister of Canada. The State Counsellor also met with the Honourable Geoff Regan, Speaker of the House of Commons, and the Honourable George J. Furey, Speaker of the Senate on 7th June 2017. The State Counsellor also attended the working lunch hosted by the Honorable Ms. Chrystia Freeland, Foreign Minister of Canada, at the Parliament Building.
3. At the meetings, the Canadian side conveyed their deep condolences to the bereaved families of the Myanmar military airplane accident, and the two sides exchanged views on matters pertaining to strengthening of Myanmar-Canada bilateral relations, sharing of the Canadian’s experience on federalism, Myanmar’s national reconciliation and peace process, promotion of peace, stability and development in the Rakhine State, Canada’s continued support to Myanmar in overcoming challenges during its democratic transition, education, health, economic development, capacity building of civil servants, transfer of advanced agricultural technology, good governance, enhancement of the role of women and children and development and humanitarian assistance for Myanmar. Following the bilateral meeting, the Canadian Prime Minister issued a press release stating Canada’s pledge to provide 8.8 million Canadian dollar in support for humanitarian assistance and advancement of peace and stability in Myanmar.
4. On 8th June 2017, the State Counsellor called on the Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General of Canada, and exchanged views on the experiences of transformation to a federal democratic system, education, agriculture, water resource management, tourism, conservation and preservation of historical buildings and cultural heritages. The State Counsellor also received Mr. Bruce Stanton, Chairman of Canada-Myanmar Parliament Friendship Committee and Deputy Speaker of the House of Commons at the Fairmont Chateau Laurier Hotel, and focused their discussions on enhancing friendly relations and cooperation between the two Parliaments as well as possible avenues for the Committee to assist the Government of Myanmar in overcoming challenges in its efforts for national reconciliation, peace and democratization.
5. While in Ottawa, the State Counsellor also joined the Myanmar study tour group on Federalism comprising the representatives of Government, Tatmadaw and Ethnic Armed Organizations, and participated in five sessions of presentations namely “Canada’s Justice System,” “Importance of Intergovernmental Relations and its Impact on Canadian Federalism, Social Policy and Economic Development”, “Canadian Fiscal Federalism and Equalization,” “the Role of the Canadian Armed Forces and Civil-Military Relations,” and “the Role of Canadian Mounted Police” organized by the Forum of Federations.
6. On 7th June 2017, the State Counsellor cordially met with the Myanmar Community from the vicinity of Ottawa at the Fairmont Chateau Laurier Hotel.
7. In Toronto, the State Counsellor met with the Honourable Kathleen Wynne, Premier of Ontario, and the Honourable Elizabeth Dowdeswell, Lieutenant Governor of Ontario on 8th and 9th June 2017 respectively. During the meetings, the two sides discussed matters pertinent to Myanmar’s national reconciliation and peace process, harmonious co-existence of different ethnic groups in Toronto, Canada’s experiences in Federalism and initiation of the students and teachers exchange programmes with a view to enhancing people-to-people contacts between the two countries.
8. On 9th June 2017, the State Counsellor met with Mr. John Tory, Mayor of Toronto, at the City Hall of Toronto, and cordially addressed the gathering of the Myanmar Community in Canada, and answered the questions raised by the participants.
Visit to Sweden
9. The Myanmar delegation led by the State Counsellor left Toronto by air on 10th June and arrived in Stockholm, Sweden on 11th June 2017. In Sweden, the State Counsellor held a bilateral meeting with H.E. Mr. Stefan Lofven, Prime Minister of Sweden at the Prime Minister’s Office on 12th June 2017. At the meeting, they focused their talks on strengthening Myanmar-Sweden bilateral relations, Sweden’s continued support to the democratic transition of Myanmar, national reconciliation and peace process, promotion of peace, stability and development in the Rakhine State, Sweden’s new Myanmar Development Strategy, transfer of advanced technology in agriculture sector, creation of market access, trade, education and transportation sectors.
10. On 12th June 2017, the State Counsellor met with H.E. Mrs. Isabella Lovin, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for International Development Cooperation and Climate, H.E. Mrs. Margot Wallstrom, Minister for Foreign Affairs, and H.E. Mrs. Ann Linde, Minister for EU Affairs and Trade on separate occasions. During the meetings, they exchanged views on matters related to Sweden’s new Myanmar Development Strategy, national reconciliation and peace process, promotion of peace, stability and development in the Rakhine State, media freedom, economic and trade promotion, protection of labour rights, employers-employee relations, cooperation in agriculture, market access for Myanmar’s agro-products and public transportation sectors. Moreover, the State Counsellor also met with Mr. Oscar Stenstrom, State Secretary for Trade, together with the representatives of H&M, Ericsson, Scania Companies, and discussed matters related to promotion of trade and investment.
11. The State Counsellor also attended the Luncheon hosted by H.E. Mrs. Margot Wallstrom, Foreign Minister of Sweden at the Ministry.
12. On 12th June 2017, the State Counsellor attended the Ceremony to award the Olof Palme International Prize 2005 held at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. At the ceremony, H.E. Mrs. Ann Linde, Minister for EU Affairs and Trade, delivered an opening speech and Mr. Pierre Schori, Chairman of Olof Palme Memorial Fund made a remark about the conferment of the Award and handed over Olof Palme International Prize 2005 to the State Counsellor. The State Counsellor spoke words of thanks for the award at the event. The State Counsellor and Myanmar delegation attended the banquet hosted by H.E. Mrs. Ann Linde, Minister for EU Affairs and Trade. The State Counsellor was conferred the Award in 2005 in recognition of her courage, strong determination and peaceful struggle for the cause of peace, democracy and ethnic unity in Myanmar, and she personally received the Award at the ceremony. Olof Palme Award recipients include former Czech President Mr. Vaclav Havel, former United Nations Secretary-General Mr. Javier Perez de Cuellar and the Amnesty International.
13. On 12th June 2017, the State Counsellor cordially addressed the gathering of the Myanmar Community at the Stockholm Theatre, Grand Hotel in Sweden and responded to their questions.
14. On 13th June 2017, the State Counsellor met with H.E. Mr. Urban Ahlin, Speaker of the Swedish Parliament (Riksdag) at the Parliamentary Building. As the honoured guest of the Speaker, the State Counsellor delivered a public address at the Swedish Parliament highlighting Myanmar’s democratic transition, national reconciliation and peace process. Afterwards, she responded to the questions raised by the Panel which included the Speaker of the Parliament, the Chair and the Deputy Chair of the Foreign Affairs Committee. The State Counsellor also made a tour at the Parliament and attended the Luncheon hosted in her honour by the Speaker of the Swedish Parliament.
Ministry of Foreign