You can read daily news of Global New Light of Myanmar using mobile applications. Download now!

July 23, 2019

Rice destruction at Cote d’Ivore is not concerned with quality or exporters: MRF

Representatives of the Myanmar Rice Federation hold the press conference on the destruction of rice from Myanmar at Cote d’Ivore. photo: mna
Representatives of the Myanmar Rice Federation hold the press conference on the destruction of rice from Myanmar at Cote d’Ivore. photo: MNA

The destruction of a consignment of Myanmar rice at Cote d’Ivoire recently cannot be linked to the quality of the rice, nor can the exporter companies be held accountable for the issue, as they were in conformity with the purchase agreement, said U Ye Min Aung, Chairman of the Myanmar Rice Federation.
“The quality of rice from Myanmar is not at the bottom of this issue. Rice millers and exporters are working as hard as possible to improve rice quality to meet international standards. Local consumers must not harbor concerns over the quality of rice,” said U Ye Min Aung.
“The vessel carrying rice from Myanmar left in October, and the rice was in the cargo for about 10 months before reaching the African countries. It has also been learnt that the rice was loaded onto the vessel during the rains. It is impossible for any rice of high quality to remain good after being stored as cargo at sea for nine months,” said U Ye Min Aung at a press conference held at the Union of Myanmar Federation of Chambers of Commerce and Industry yesterday.
“Investigation in the matter isn’t complete yet. The matter is being investigated from all sides. The press conference has been held to apprise people as well as interested persons of the information and news gathered till date,” he said.
More than 150,000 tons of rice was exported to other African countries at the same time as Cote d’Ivoire, and currently, rice shipments from Myanmar are on their way to other countries.
A review has found that a Singaporean company bought the rice from three Myanmar companies — 13,500 metric tons from the Shwe-Wah-Yaung Company, 500 tons from the Ayeya Hintha Company, and 8,000 from MEC — to sell it in Guinea, Africa.
MV-Ocean Prince arrived in Yangon to transport the shipment of rice at the end of August last year. Due to the rainy season, it took about one-and-a-half months to load the rice. The vessel left Yangon with 22,000 tons of rice on 15 October, 2018. It then proceeded to India, where it was loaded with 14,000 tons of rice. It left India in November last year and arrived in Guinea at the end of December.
“As the rice was traded under the FOB system, companies in Myanmar were responsible for the period before the loading. Olam International Co. Ltd was responsible for the remaining operations. Olam is also investigating the case,” said U Ye Min Aung.
“Our customers also know about the case. After this case, our company has loaded rice on 17 vessels. We will load over 100,000 tons of rice in May and June. We have received further orders,” said U Lu Maw Myint Maung, the Managing Director of the Shwe-Wah-Yaung Company.
The Myanmar Rice Federation will conduct an investigation into the destruction of rice at Cote d’Ivoire to ascertain the actual circumstances of the case.
“In fact, if they want to destroy the rice which they consider unfit for consumption, they must first inform the companies, governments, and embassies concerned,” said U Aung Than Oo, Vice Chairman, MRF.
Myanmar has exported more than 2.2 million tons of rice and broken rice between 1 April, 2018 and 15 February, 2019 through the sea route.
About 50 per cent of rice exported by Myanmar through normal trade goes to African countries. —Aye Yamone
(Translated by TTN)

Comments

Related posts