1. At the invitation of the H.E. Mr. Tran Dai Quang, President of the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam, H.E. U Htin Kyaw, President of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar, and wife Daw Su Su Lwin paid a state visit to Viet Nam from 26th to 28th October 2016. Earlier, the President had participated in the World Economic Forum for the Mekong Region, the 7th ACMECS and the 8th CLMV Summits in Hanoi. The Myanmar Delegation headed by President U Htin Kyaw arrived back in Nay Pyi Taw on the afternoon of 28th October.
2. President U Htin Kyaw was accompanied by a high -level delegation that included Dr. Aung Thu, Union Minister for Agriculture, Livestock and Irrigation, U Kyaw Win, Union Minister for Planning and Finance, U Kyaw Tin, Minster of State for Foreign Affairs and senior officials.
3. President U Htin Kyaw was accorded a ceremonial welcome at the Presidential Palace in Hanoi on October 26th, 2016, which was followed by a bilateral meeting between the two Presidents. During the bilateral talks, H.E. Mr. Tran Dai Quang, President of the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam, congratulated President U Htin Kyaw and the National League for Democracy Party on the victory in the general election in November 2015, and praised the achievements attained by the new government of Myanmar in the process of national reconciliation, economic and social development and expansion of foreign relations, including the successful hosting of the 37th ASEAN Inter-Parliament Assembly (AIPA-37). President
Tran Dai Quang also congratulated the new government of Myanmar on significant development in the peace process and national reconciliation in Myanmar, including the organization of the 21st Century Panglong Conference.
4. H.E. U Htin Kyaw, President of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar, congratulated his Vietnamese counterpart on important accomplishments Viet Nam has achieved over the past 30 years of “Doi Moi” economic reforms. The two Presidents held wide-ranging discussions on various issues of mutual interest, and expressed their satisfaction on the progresses made over 40 years of diplomatic ties, particularly in the 12 prioritized areas of bilateral cooperation. The two Presidents are committed to deepen the friendly ties and create opportunities to expand the existing cooperation between Myanmar and Viet Nam.
Both sides are committed to uphold the existing cooperative mechanisms, including the organization of the 9th Session of the Viet Nam- Myanmar Joint Commission for Bilateral Cooperation in Viet Nam, the 7th Session of the Political Consultation at Deputy Foreign Minister Level in Myanmar in 2017 and other specialized cooperative mechanisms.
5. The two sides also committed themselves to further expand the bilateral investment and trade ties on the basis of mutual interests and to create favourable conditions to enable bilateral trade and investment to reach its full potential. Both sides agreed to work closely for the early conclusion of
Agreements on Customs and Finance and to amend the existing Agreement on Investment Facilitations and Protection and Memorandum of Understanding on Investment Promotion to accommodate the changing business environment. It was also agreed to hold the 5th Session of the Security Dialogue in Viet Nam and discuss the signing of Memorandum of Understanding on Mutual Assistance in Criminal Matters.
6. The two Leaders shared views on matters of common interests in regional peace, security and affirmed their commitments to enhance security cooperation between the two countries. President U Htin Kyaw extended an invitation to the President of Viet Nam to visit Myanmar at the earliest possible, mutually
convenient date and the invitation was accepted. A joint statement was issued after the bilateral meeting between the two Presidents.
7. President U Htin Kyaw and wife Daw Su Su Lwin attended the State Banquet hosted in their honour by President Tran Dai Quang and wife Madam Nguyen Thi Hien.
8. During the visit, President U Htin Kyaw called on H.E. Mr. Nguyen Phu Trong, General Secretary of the Communist Party of Viet Nam, and held talks with H.E. Mr. Nguyen Xuan Phuc, Prime Minister of the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam. President U Htin Kyaw and Myanmar delegation paid tribute to the Monument of National Heroes and Martyrs. President and the Myanmar delegation also met with Myanmar’s community in Ha noi and received Vietnamese entrepreneurs during his stay in Viet Nam.
Date, 28 October 2016
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Nay Pyi Taw