June 30, 2017

Breaking News

Port authority compensates farmers displaced by Thilawa SEZ

A local farmer explains compensation of MPA for farmlands. Tun Aung Kyaw
A local farmer explains compensation of MPA for farmlands. Tun Aung Kyaw

Yangon, 10 July — Myanma Port Authority paid compensation Friday to eight farmers displaced by development of the Thilawa Special Economic Zone.
A total of K42.21 million in compensation was paid to the farmers for land plots 25 and 26 of the economic zone, at K 6.7 million per acre, according to local farmers.
“I have already received compensation and now I again got K13.4 million from MPA for two acres of my land,” local famer U Zaw Win said, adding he was pleased with the payment.
U Soe Maung, a volunteer who helped the farmers win compensation said the claim process was difficult.  When compensation was initially paid, farmers received K7 million for land and K100,000 for rent from companies, but rates were now a little lower, he said.
“The more the farmers get, the better it is for the future,” U Soe Maung said.
MPA has not paid compensations for land plots 22, 23 and 24 yet, according to the local farmers.
The MPA did not comment on the compensation.
The first phase of the Thilawa Special Economic Zone Project in Yangon Region covers 400 hectares of land. The first phase of the project covering 189 hectares will be commissioned in September.
Myanmar owns 51 percent of the project while Japan holds the remaining 49 percent.—GNLM

Comments

Related posts

Translate »