You can read daily news of Global New Light of Myanmar using mobile applications. Download now!

May 26, 2019

Poisonous smoke from garbage fire to be controlled in three days

Firefighters douse the garbage dump with bio foam and water to extinguish the underground fire.  photo: pe zaw
Firefighters douse the garbage dump with bio foam and water to extinguish the underground fire.  photo: pe zaw

Authorities announced yesterday that the smoke from the garbage fire in the western outskirts of Yangon would be controlled within three days.
“After reviewing the ground situation, we adopted a new strategy and divided the garbage into four zones. We launched an operation against smoke in the first zone today,” said U Myat Thu, Deputy Director-General of the Fire Services Department.
“We met with success today. We have targeted to control the smoke in the remaining three zones in three days,” he added.
A combined force of
firefighters, Tatmadaw men, staff of the Yangon City Development Committee and some 900 volunteers will participate in the fight against the poisonous smoke from the garbage fire with the use of Bio Foam and water.
Authorities have adopted a new strategy to control the smoke from the garbage, though 90 per cent of the garbage fire in the western outskirts of Yangon is under control.

A back hoe clears a path through the garbage dump for firefighters to reach afflicted areas.  photo: pe zaw
A back hoe clears a path through the garbage dump for firefighters to reach afflicted areas.  photo: pe zaw

“Experts from ASEAN and Thailand are here, and they also agreed with the new strategy,” said U Maung Maung Soe, Yangon Mayor.
The fires started at a garbage dump in Hlinethaya on the afternoon of 21 April and burned for several days, causing health hazards in nearby areas due to the smoke and carbon monoxide emitted by the fire. Five clinics have been set up nearby villagers to provide healthcare to the people and about 60 ambulances are also being used to send patients to the hospital when necessary.
“Four patients including a three-year old child received treatment today for smoke inhalation,” said Dr. Thida Soe, Medical Superintendent of Hlinethaya Township People’s Hospital.—Zaw Gyi

Comments

Related posts