The Secretariat building will be opened to the public on Martyrs’ day on 19 July and this year marks the 70th anniversary of the assassination of the martyrs along with Bogyoke Aung San. For the first time the Parliament House, located within the Secretariat compound and the Cabinet Meeting Room will be opened to the public.
Daw May Thandar Win, a spokesperson from the Secretariat’s Preservation Group said this is the first time the public can access the original parliament building of Myanmar and the room where the assassination of Bogyoke Aung San and his six cabinet colleagues took place. The original furniture that was in the room during the time of the assassination will be borrowed from the National Museum for display to the public. There will be an art exhibition to honor the sacrifice of the martyrs and a religious ceremony to share merits with the martyrs. A Facebook page has also been launched for those keen to follow the events on Martyrs’ Day.
Students between the ages of 10 and 14 were invited to participate in art competitions to mark the history and sacrifice of the martyrs. Out of 270 who participated, 40 were chosen to be put on display in the gallery of the Secretariat building.
The Parliament House was used as the nation’s parliament from 1935 to 1962 and the early drafts of the country’s constitution were drafted there. When Myanmar first got independence the Union Jack of UK was replaced, and the flag of the Union of Burma was raised for the first time on the flagpole in front of the Parliament House.
The Cabinet Meeting Room situated in the Secretariat’s west wing was used by various administrations since 1905 and was also the office of Bogyoke Aung San.
The Secretariat will be opened to the public on 19 July from 8am to 4pm.