The following is a statement released by the Myanmar Journalists Association
Date: 22 November 2017
1. The Myanmar Journalists Association has learnt that the Associated Press, an established news agency, on Monday misquoted comments made by State Counsellor Daw Aung San Suu Kyi in her speech to the ASEM Foreign Ministers’ Meeting held in Nay Pyi Taw.
2. The comment made by the State Counsellor In her opening remarks is “Conflicts around the world are giving rise to new threats and emergencies; illegal migration, spread of terrorism and violent, extremism, social disharmony and even the threat of nuclear war.” But the AP misrepresented the comment in the lead paragraph of the story saying that “illegal migration spreads terrorism…”.
3. It is found that the AP’s report violated Section-9 of the existing News Media Law and journalistic ethics of international media.
4. At a time when the State is making efforts for building good relations with international communities, the government is handling sensitive issues cautiously.
5. Though the AP corrected the mistake, the story damaged the image of Myanmar.
6. Hence, the Myanmar Journalists Association strongly condemned the AP’s misleading report.
Myanmar Journalists Association