January 26, 2017

Breaking News

Independent journalists to tour conflict areas in northern Rakhine

A group of independent journalists including local and foreign media will tour Maungtaw township today, which is still under a security lockdown following deadly attacks on border guard posts in October and subsequent violent clashes last month.
The media team that will participate in the three-day tour include journalists from the Myanmar News Media Council, the Central News Bureau, the Mizzima Media Group, the Myanmar Times, the Myanmar Foreign Correspondents Club, Kyodo News, European Press Photo-EPA, MITV, 7 Day and the Myanmar News Agency.
“As Maungtaw is still a military operations area, the Ministry of Information selected a suitable number of journalists from the broadcast media, print media and news agencies,” said the report of the Myanmar News Agency.The news and photos collected by the media group will be handed out to other media via the web portal of the Ministry, said the report.
The journalists will be escorted by security forces as they are go to an areas where the attacks occurred, said the government’s spokesman U Zaw Htay.
The move comes after Mr Kofi Annan’s call on the government on 6th December to allow access to information in northern Rakhine in order to refute widespread rumours about rights abuses in the area.

Comments

Related posts

Translate »