“Press Release on the Situation in Maungdaw”
( 11 August 2017 )
1. To bring about national reconciliation, peace and development in Rakhine, the Government of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar is striving, with both long term and short term plans, to resolve the issues between the two communities. This includes provision of humanitarian assistances from both international and domestic resources, and development of basic infrastructure in the region. Priorities are given to building roads, bridges and enhanced access to electricity in the Rakhine region.
2. Currently, (13) out of (20) townships in Rakhine State and their adjacent (184) villages have access to electricity. Electricity is distributed in Buthidaung and Maungdaw Townships by utilizing diesel generators. Additionally, a team from the Union Ministry concerned joined by the Rakhine State government has been sent to Rakhine on 11-8-2017 to conduct a feasibility survey to evaluate the possibility of electrification of townships that do not have electricity.
3. Long term plans are being implemented for development of transportation and infrastructure in the Rakhine State. For the effective maintenance of peace, security and rule of law, priorities are given to building connecting roads, bridges and concrete roads to link eastern to western parts of the May Yu mountain range in Sittwe and Maungdaw Districts.
4. While the Government is implementing the above development plans and striving to maintain peace and security in Maungdaw District in Rakhine State, extremists are stepping up their terrorist activities in the region. Up to 9th August, (59) innocent people are murdered and (33) had gone missing. Many administrators, village heads and those who are believed to be cooperating with the government and those who talked to media are being killed. Latest situation is that (7) Mro ethnic nationals are killed by these extremists. They are making death threats in order to prevent the people from cooperating with the government as well as to disrupt the national verification process and peace and security of the region. These dastardly acts must be condemned by everyone.
5. The Government is handling the situation strictly within standing laws, rules and regulation. Taking advantage, the extremists are stepping up their terrorist activities in the region. The Government willresolutely take effective actionagainst these terrorist acts in accordance with law. To protect the innocent civilians, security enforcement will be enhanced in the region. At the same time, actions will be taken against all extremists and those who abet their extremism. The Government is working together with Tatmadaw security forces to quell these stepped up terrorist acts including issuance of Article 144 curfew in necessary areas in order to establish and maintain peace, stability and security in the region.
6. We urge the people, political parties, NGOs, friendly countries and international community to show support by opposing the extremist terrorist acts.