You can read daily news of Global New Light of Myanmar using mobile applications. Download now!

March 03, 2018

From unsightly alley to mural-rich mew

An artist paints a mural in the alley between 31st and 32nd streets in Pabedan Township, Yangon.

The alley between 31st and 32nd streets in Pabedan Township, Yangon has recently undergone an urban makeover.
What was once a dark, fetid alley is now an eye-catching walkway, with paintings and murals replacing trash and vermin, thanks to a project aimed at transforming alleyways into urban art galleries.
The creators of the art consist of children from international schools, cartoonists, painters and other artists including members of the Pabedan Township Painting & Sculpture Association, who enthusiastically took part in the project.
The thinking behind the project was that throwing trash into an already littered alleyway was easy. But maybe littering a pristine area would be more difficult, organizers reasoned.
“Such a campaign was initiated with the intention of changing people’s mindsets. So long as back alleys are dirty, people will continue to throw trash away into them. Presently, no one throws rubbish there any longer. Gardens, playing grounds and libraries will be created for children”, said U Than Naing Oo, Yangon Region Representative of constituency 1, Pabedan.
It has been learnt that the recently transformed back alley will be opened at the end of June.
“(After the) back alleys were concreted and sanitised, the Our House team offered us a chance to transform them into playgrounds for children. So, in consultation with authorities concerned, such a plan was initiated.”
The project was implemented in cooperation with the NGO Our House, with 80 per cent of the expense paid by Our House and the remaining 20 per cent paid by the township.


By Ko Moe



Related posts

Translate »