Deputy Minister for Culture Daw Sanda Khin inspected renovation works at three ancient temples built during the Pinya era in Mandalay Region’s TadaU Township on 29 August. Pinya was a royal capital city that was ruled by six kings between 1312 and 1364 AD. The ancient region represents a promising tourist destination should the surrounding infrastructure be developed. The Department of Archaeology and the National Museum are working together to renovate one of three temples in a cluster within the first phase of the 2015-16 fiscal year. The deputy minister also observed the excavation of the inner wall at the ancient city of Inwa and maintenance of Nanmyint Tower, as well as preservation works on stone inscriptions and plaque chambers at Maha Lawka Marazein Kuthodaw Pagoda. UNESCO added the stone plaques to its Memory of the World register in 2013. In 2014, department and national museum staff embarked on a three-year Pali translation project with assistance from the Japanese Foundation Chuo Academic Research Institute (CARI) and Australia’s Sydney University. The deputy minister also inspected the progress of renovations at the Golden Palace Monastery.