CANDLE FIRE BLAZE DESTROYS 600 HOMES IN PALAW TOWNSHIP
A FIRE broke out yesterday morning in Kyaukka village, Palaw township, Myeik District, Taninthari Region, engulfing about 600 houses, local firemen said. There were no casualties.
The cause of the fire was reportedly a child playing with a lit candle, according to the police.
The total cost of the fire, taking into account destroyed property and homes, sits at around K75 million.
As the area where the fire broke out was not accessible by fire engines, fire fighters, teaming with military personnel and local people, battled the blaze with the use of water pumps, bringing it under control in the late afternoon.
The victims were moved to nearby Yezagyo village where they were provided temporary shelters.
Coastal Region Command’s Commander Brig-Gen Maung Maung Soe rushed to the scene of incident where he provided victims with relief items including purified bottled water, noodles and other foodstuffs. The military command has sent its mobile medical team to provide health care to the victims.
In the evening, families of the navy, the army and the air forces sent 200 cartons of noodles alongside kitchen utensils on two military helicopters.
Myit Oo (Myeik)